Program Length: 34 weeks
This program is offered at our Toronto Campus
This full time diploma program was developed using the “Pharmacy Assistant Competency Profile” and the “Pharmacy Assistant Skill Set” documents published by the Ontario College of Pharmacists.
The program is 34 weeks (900 hours) in length, and consists of 450 hours of pharmacy assistant related theory, 250 hours of practical skills in the school’s well-equipped pharmacy assistant classroom and 200 hours of full time clinical work placement in a pharmacy setting. During the clinical work placement students participate in both a retail community pharmacy placement in a drug store and an institutional pharmacy placement in a hospital, long-term care facility, rehab center or similar organization. Ideally each placement will be 4 weeks in length.
- Introduction to Pharmacy Practice
- Human Anatomy, Physiology and Pathology with Medical Terminology
- Introduction to Computers, Applications and Keyboarding
- Interpersonal Skills, Communication, Problem Solving and Client 36棋牌
- Pharmaceutical Calculations
- Pharmaceutical Law and Ethics
- Pharmacology and Pharmaceutical Fundamentals
- Sterile Products (including aseptic techniques, infection control, microbiology and handling of bio-hazardous materials)
- Introduction to Pharmacy Management Software
- Retail Pharmacy Practice
- Hospital Pharmacy Practice (including long term care pharmacy practice)
- CPR and First Aid Certifications
- Employment and Career Management
- Clinical Placement
Near the conclusion of the program, students are required to complete 200 hours of full time clinical work placement in a pharmacy setting. During the clinical work placement students participate in both a community pharmacy placement in a drug store and an institutional pharmacy placement in a hospital, long-term care facility, rehab center or similar organization. Ideally each placement will be 4 weeks in length.
Employment may be found in:
- Retail Pharmacies
- Long-term care facilities
- Rehab centers
- Grade 12 (OSSD) or equivalent
- If you are 19 years or older and do not have an OSSD or equivalent, a minimum passing score of 18 on the Wonderlic SLE entrance test.
- Medical Certificate (free of communicable disease with up-to-date immunization status)
- Good oral and written English skills.
- Admissions interview to determine suitability for the program
Note: Although not an admission requirement, Hepatitis B immunization is strongly recommended, since it is required by many employers.